Sunday, November 8, 2009

Shout Outs

This entry in my semi-irregular blog is going to be devoted to the people who have made getting into the comic book biz a pleasure for me over the last few months. I don't really know how many people read this and how many of those don't already know these people, but here goes:

I'm going to start with a guy I just met this weekend at the Charlotte Comicon but is fresh on my mind, as I've been reading his stuff. His name is Gabriel Dunston and he publishes his own web-comic over at www.pod-comic.com called "Pitt of Despair". It's a journal comic and definitely not as depressing as the name might lead your to believe. Gabe's a really nice guy with a really funny comic and if at all possible I'd love to throw some business his way (not that I really have any to spare).

Of course, I might never have met Gabe if it weren't for the folks at Bitter TEA Studios, Derek and Nikki Davis. We had the great fortune to get the table next to their's at the Baltimore Comic Con and I knew we got good people from the get go. If you like a good webcomic with a regularity which is largely uncharacteristic of webcomics, Derek and Nikki are great.

I was also fortunate enough to meet Troy Hasbrouck of Jester Press in Baltimore. Like Bitter Tea, Jester operates out of the Charlotte area. Troy's operation is more like ours in that he goes the traditional comics route. Jester publishes the "Night" and "Shades of the Night" comics, which feature all the thrills of both the supernatural and crime genres.

Also, a big thank you to Jon and Alan at Ultimate Comics for stepping up and selling our book in their stores. Making a book is a wonderful experience, but once you have it you're left with the question of how to sell it, which is honestly outside my area of expertise. If you're reading this and you haven't picked up a copy from one of their three stores, I command you do so now! They may even be letting us do an event in their store next month, so hurray for that!

Finally, I want to thank all of the people who have so far been good enough to review the first issue of "The Order of Dagonet". It has been a labor of love for Jason and I and don't think for a second that we don't soak up every bit of love that comes back our way. The sites are all listed on the Order of Dagonet press page and I have to say that not one of those sites sucks. I was already reading them before they reviewed my stuff.

I know I said finally before, but it wouldn't be a real shout-out if I didn't include my new brothers: Charlie Harper, Jason Strutz, Franco, and Ethan Wenberg with all of whom the force is strong. Everybody likes to say artists are flaky, but these are guys I can always count on.

No comments:

Post a Comment